Sunday, December 4, 2011

My Blog… MINE (an Inaugural Blogural)


I just read the terms of service (yes, I actually do that).  It seems that I can write what I like in this forum so long as I don’t incite violence, slander, impersonate or release the personal data of others, or commit some egregious crime.  Seeing as how I’m a pretty much upright citizen, I think I should be entirely in the clear for the whole lifespan of this blog.  I want to take a moment to apprise you of what you can expect here.

Let me start by introducing myself.  My name is Leonard Johnson.  I was born and raised in Henderson, Kentucky, educated at the University of Kentucky in Lexington, made acquainted with the challenges of adulthood as an English teacher in Houston, Texas, and am now embarking upon the greatest adventure of my life—trying to become a nationally renowned musician starting with the conquest of the small yet famed city of St. Louis, Missouri. 

I will submit blogs frequently.  If you miss me and want to hear from me more often, check me out on twitter (@lbjohnstl) and like my facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/lbjohnstl).  In each location, you can find short platitudes and intermittent ramblings.  But this is where you want to come for the nitty-gritty.  But, alas, I work for a living so Sunday is the day to really put out something substantial.  So, what do I consider substantial?  What kind of propaganda, exactly, will I be spouting off?

I’m so glad you asked!  The main strands of knowledge I plan to drop on you are as follows;

Heat- I get around in this city (not like that, I’m proudly monogamous) and I’m starting to get a feel for currents in entertainment and nightlife.  I do this to try and promote my own music and career, of course, but, as a residual effect, I’m able to really get an understanding of who’s doing what, what acts are picking up steam, who is trending at the moment, etc.  I plan to share my take on what’s hot in STL’s independent music scene (by the way, HOT was a perfectly legitimate descriptive term before Paris Hilton and her ilk made it feel icky and I intend to revive it)

Light- I’m still a teacher at heart and, at the risk of seeming like an obtuse pedant, some of my blogs will focus on music as a craft and on the philosophy of music more generally.  I’ve been fortunate enough to have conversations with extremely talented musicians about how they write music and their thoughts on the current direction of music.  As I have more of these conversations, I plan to share the insights we come to.  And as a self-styled student of philosophy, I will sometimes blog about my own thoughts on the beautiful and the sublime as we experience it in music, on what constitutes originality, and on what music means in our lives.  Lofty, I know.  What can I say?  I think highly of myself.

Sound- At least monthly, I’ll be highlighting one of my own songs.  This is an attempt to define my sound, which is truly always a work in progress.  I will be discussing the meaning of the lyrics as I experienced them in the writing process and as I experience them as a singer and a listener.  This will be an opportunity to share with you how I craft music and further explore the meaning behind my own creative products.

Whatever the hell I feel like discussing- From time to time, a blog won’t fit any of these categories.  I’ll just write whatever is on my mind at the moment.  I may give a movie or restaurant review.  I may post a transcript of an interview with a local artist.  I may just journal and write about a personal experience that I think may be beneficial to you.  This is my blog… MINE!  So, I reserve the right to share my thoughts, some of which might be irrelevant to you.  The beautiful thing is you can (and should) follow me without following every word in every blog.

That being said, there will be something for everyone here!  So check my website (http://www.hearlbj.com/) weekly to see if I’ve written something for you.  If not, I’m sure to get around to it.

Vive la Free Speech and thanks for stopping by,

LB Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment